Alberta is proposing to make 18 the minimum age to use cannabis when new marijuana laws come into play next summer. It's also being proposed that Albertans will be allowed to grow four plants inside their homes for personal use.
Albertans are invited to provide feedback on the government’s draft framework to manage cannabis legalization in the province. The Alberta Cannabis Framework proposes who will be able to buy and use cannabis once it is legal, where they will be able to buy it and where they will be allowed to use it. The framework supports four policy priorities for legalization: keeping cannabis out of the hands of children, promoting public safety on roads, in workplaces and in public spaces, protecting public health and limiting the illicit market. Kathleen Ganley, Minister of Justice and Solicitor General says with input from Albertans, the government has drafted a proposed framework to manage legalized cannabis in our province. She notes the province looks forward to receiving additional feedback from Albertans. The Online Survey runs until Friday, October 27th at midnight. - Province of Alberta Release
High-level details of the draft framework
* A minimum age of 18 to purchase and consume cannabis.
* Provincial oversight and regulation of wholesaling and distribution of cannabis products through the Alberta Gaming and Liquor Commission (AGLC).
* A public possession limit for adults of 30 grams.
* The ability to grow up to four cannabis plants, no taller than one metre, at home for personal use.
* Restrictions on retail locations selling alcohol, tobacco or pharmaceuticals together with cannabis.
* Strict rules around zoning retail locations and training for employees.
* Province-wide restrictions on where cannabis can be used in public, with an emphasis on protecting children and limiting second-hand exposure.
* Ability for municipalities to introduce additional restrictions on public consumption.
* New tools to expand the ability of police to address drug-impaired driving.
* Development of an extensive public education program.