Fatal Fire at Coaldale Seniors Apartment Building

A fire at an apartment complex in Coaldale early Friday morning (Jan. 4) claiming the life of one woman.

Around 1:00 a.m., Coaldale RCMP responded to a distress call at a three storey apartment on 19 Street and 23 Avenue. When officers tried to enter an apartment on the top floor, a wall of thick smoke prevented immediate access.
 
The Coaldale Fire Department was able to get in inside and rescue an elderly woman that was trapped. Despite their best efforts, she died from what is believed to be smoke inhalation related causes. The name of the deceased woman will not be released.
 
All other residents were evacuated from the building, with no other injuries reported. They have since been allowed to return home.
 
An investigation is ongoing but foul play is not suspected at this time. The cause of the fire has yet to be determined.

More from Lethbridge News

Recently Played