Lethbridge Safe Drug Consumption Site Very Busy in First Week of Operation

ARCHES Executive Director, Stacey Bourque says since Wednesday morning (Mar. 7), they've had 95 people use the facility in the first week of operation, some more than once.

It's been a week since Lethbridge's safe drug consumption site opened its doors and according to ARCHES, it's been a very busy place. Executive Director Stacey Bourque says the site is doing exactly what it was intended to do, noting they've reversed four overdoses already in the first week. Bourque says as of Wednesday morning (Mar. 7) 95 people had used the consumption location, some of them more than once for a total of 240 visits so far. Bourque says lots of people are taking in-house counselling, connecting with staff, and they've been plenty of referrals made to detox and treatment. She's hoping the numbers continue to increase so ARCHES can address some of the community concerns, reduce public drug consumption and needle debris, and refer more people to treatment. - Pat Siedlecki

Stacey Bourque:

More from Lethbridge News

Recently Played