U.S. Man Accused of Calling in Bomb Threats in Taber Used App to Access Emergency Scanners

Taber Police Chief, Graham Abela addresses local media Tuesday on bomb threats investigation

Taber Police allege an Illinois man received gratification by listening on a scanner app to how emergency services responded to his fake bomb threats last week.

Taber Police providing an update Tuesday (Feb. 12) on the arrest of an American man accused of phoning fake bomb threats.

The threats were called in to three schools in that community as well as the Taber Walmart, Taber Hospital, and the CIBC bank branch in the town.

Last Friday, calls were made by an anonymous person and tracked to a number in Illinois. With the help of several agencies, 35 year old Justin Bagley was arrested in that state and charged with several counts of felony disorderly conduct for making bomb threats.

Taber Police Chief Graham Abela says Bagley has absolutely no connection to the town. "He received some sort of gratification by listening over a scanner app to the police response and that's most likely why he did it. It's alleged he felt that he was caught previously by U.S. law enforcement and if he did the same in Canada he might not get caught."

Bagley has prior convictions in Illinois for making bomb threats there as well as serving time in prison for domestic battery.

Abela says police always need to take calls like this as if they are actually occurring and that's why they responded the way they did. He notes public safety has to come first, regardless of whether or not this is a hoax.

Chief Graham Abela: 

More from Lethbridge News

Recently Played